Settlers first homesteaded in the Semans area as early as 1904. Semans, named for the wife of a railroad official, was one in the alphabetical sequence of towns on the Grand Trunk line between Winnipeg and Saskatoon. A picture of the first station shows the spelling as “Semons”. The first sports day was held on July 1, 1908. The railroad station and first grain elevator were built by the fall of 1908. In a little more than a year, local businesses could supply almost all necessary commodities and the population was forty eight people. The first open air rink was in use by 1907.
On October 28, 1908, the Semans Board of Trade sent correspondence regarding the organization of Semans under the Village Act of 1908. A petition was sent on November 4, 1908, signed by the businesses. Semans was established December 14, 1908.
For more information or inquiries please call the Village of Semans at:
Office: (306) 524 – 2144
Fax: (306) 524 – 2145